Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

6 Days and Counting!

Hi, all!

I hope that everyone had a safe but fun Fourth of July weekend. We are now entering the final days before departure!

Here are some last minute tips to remember:

  • MEETING TIME: We will be meeting at the Delta terminal (Terminal 5) no later than 8:30am on Saturday, July 12th. I will be there at 8:15am.PLEASE DO NOT BE LATE. I've been informed that security lines at LAX are particularly long on Saturday mornings and we want to have time for you to say your goodbyes to your family and get your luggage checked in. Please see me upon arrival; I will be helping all delegates get checked in properly.
  • TRAVEL ATTIRE: As we discussed at our Bon Voyage party, you need to be dressed in your travel uniform on Saturday, July 12th. That is - your burgundy People to People polo shirt, P2P lanyard and name badge, and LONG khaki pants. If you show up in anything other than this, you will be asked to change immediately and will not be able to proceed until you are in uniform. DO NOT FORGET YOUR LANYARD - this is THE most important accessory you will wear.
  • BAGGAGE: Delegates are allowed ONE checked bag, one carry-on (duffle bag or backpack), and one "personal item" (purse, jacket, etc.). As I mentioned at our Bon Voyage party, try to bring a personal item that can be condensed into your carry-on, if needed. Do not bring a carry-on suitcase please. Please adhere to the airline's baggage restrictions and dimensions for luggage. You can find information about it here: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html?icid=Policy_Ck_Baggage_OngoingAs mentioned before, checked bags cannot be over 50 lbs. in weight. This is something to consider - especially at the tail-end of the trip. Your child will be responsible for paying any overweight baggage fees if their baggage is over 50 lbs. when we come back on the 31st. If they do not have the money, they will have to discard items from their suitcase at the airport. Therefore, it is extremely important to remember not to overpack or - if you are planning on bringing back souvenirs that might add weight to your checked bag - save room for them when initially packing.
  • LEADER CELL PHONE: I received word today that I will not be receiving a leader cell phone - the other two leaders will have the designated cell phones for our group. As soon as I receive those numbers, I will forward it on to you. For now, please take note of my cell phone number. While we are traveling, you may call my international cell if there are any emergencies. My international cell number is 562-387-6921If I do not immediately pick up, please do not worry - leave a message and I will return your call as soon as I can. 
  • COMMUNICATION WHILE ON PROGRAM: As noted, our primary mode of communication will be the Facebook page. If you have not yet joined, please do so immediately. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/166888243502422/. For my Burbank area delegates, we will also be utilizing the Call-Em-All service but please note that you may not receive phone calls every day. At least one parent of every delegate is signed up for this service. If you did not receive a pre-recorded call from me this afternoon, please email me an additional number and I can put multiple numbers for each family. If your cell phone has access to text messaging, please join our Call-Em-All text service by texting P2PTexts to 292929. PLEASE DO THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE - I would like to test the text messaging service but I need parents to sign up by following these instructions. If you need to get a hold of me immediately regarding an emergency, please call my international cell. Please do NOT call my cell to talk to your child; you may talk to them through their individual cell phones, iPads, etc. at the designated times. Also note that Wifi may be spotty in some of the areas we are traveling to. Your delegate will get in touch with you at their earliest convenience and remain in touch with you as the Wifi network allows. As noted on our itinerary, Wifi is free at some hotels and charged at others. If your delegate plans to utilize the Wifi at hotels that charge, please make sure they bring money to do so (the fee should be no more than 2-3 Euros per night). 
  • SPECIAL ATTIRE: Please remember to pack at least ONE "dress up" outfit for our night at the theater. For girls, this means nice slacks, dresses, or skirts. For boys, slacks and a button-up, collared shirt. While you don't need dress shoes, you may want to bring shoes that you will feel comfortable wearing to dinner and the theater.
Should you have any questions whatsoever about packing, baggage, etc. please feel free to contact me via email or cell phone. I'm here to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment